Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Redding search engine optimization - my first assignment

What the one thing any new business has to do? In my mind it's gain trust. Trust is gained over time and in the case of www.reddingseo.com it will be by proving we can do exactly what I say I can do. I do have a team that is working with me, but the heart of this issue rests on my sholders.

I will admit it's a little scary. But I can do it. Let me tell you about my first assignment. It's a test actually.

My brother-in-law is working with me on this one. He's well known in our area and he's picked out my first challenge. His friend owns 4 different businesses online. Sadly, he's paid a lot of money to have his site gain visibility through search engines that has never panned out.

I have to admit that this is not only disturbing to me, it's very confusing. Sometimes SEO is complex and extremely challenging. There will be times that I will have to say, "No, I cannot put your site on the first page in Google for that keyword search phrase".

It's a sad answer, but it is the truth. Why is it confusing? I guess because if you know anything about search engine optimization, you should know better than to make promises you can't keep. The second reason is because I can already tell that whoever this guy paid to help get his site traffic did not even come close to doing the first thing that MUST be done when helping someone gain more traffic.

What is this most important thing?

It all starts at the foundation of SEO. The website. Before you begin any type of SEO, you must first fix the website. This was not done.

The good news is, I can do it. And this is where I'll be starting. So, let me put my first assignment right here online where everyone can follow it.

The website subject is Beef Stix. The URL is: http://countryboymeatstix.com My job is to get this site on the first page for the keyword search term, beef stix. I'm going to work on getting that site within the first 5 results.

However, the site is very far from being optimized. Google has no clue that this site should be listed within the beef stix catagory. Why? Because it appears to be more about being a distributor and not really about beef stix at all.

So, that's my first chore. To help get that site noticed. Bookmark this blog if you'd like to follow along and see how I do with this first challenge. I'm giving myself 30 days to get this site listed within those first five results using the keyword phrase, beef stix.

Till nextime...
Chrisi Darrington
Redding Search Engine Optimization

No comments: